Latest Update on Al Wyatt, Jr. July 10

Latest Update on Al Wyatt, Jr. July 10

Hi everyone,

I just got off the phone with Tom Sarmento and he asked me to update everyone on the condition of Al Wyatt, Jr. Al is still having a lot of problems from the staph infection/knee surgery which he recently had. Recovery has not gone well to this point. Medication has also caused some problems as Al has some slurred speech and is extremely tired. He lives close to the beach in Malibu and always spent a lot of time in the water. That is impossible for him now. His wife, Susan, told Tom that Al will be admitted into the hospital again tomorrow, Monday, May 4, where he will be prepped for a new surgery. He will be released on Tuesday, May 5, to go home and rest before the surgery. He will then be admitted into the hospital next Monday, May 11, for surgery. He has new doctors and is happy about that. They are basically starting over as they are going to take out everything that has been done in the earlier surgery and re-cement the knee. They say it will take about two months to heal. This is going to make it extremely difficult for Al to attend the PSI event in North Caroline in June. We know that fans will understand if he can't make it but he wants to be there for a couple of reasons. His son, Lee, is going to be performing one of the stunts at that event. Al, of course, is proud that his son is taking up where he left off with the stunts and wants to see his performance. Al also wants to be there because of the fans. He has said that he never knew he had so many fans until this problem started. He has received cards and letters from all over the world and is so appreciative of that. He asked Tom to make sure that his "THANK YOU" got back to all the people who have mailed him something. He certainly hopes to come to PSI. The hardest part will be getting him with his wheelchair into a plane. He would be taken care of by the other stunt team members once he arrived in North Carolina. According to Susan he "needs to get there" in order to pick up his spirits. We as fans can also continue to help pick up his spirits by sending cards and letters to him at the following address:

Alan Wyatt, Jr.
      PO Box 6596
      Malibu, CA 90264

Please continue keeping Al in your thoughts and prayers. I will keep you updated. Thanks.

Phyllis

Dieser Beitrag wurde bereits 6 mal editiert, zuletzt von „John's No 1 Fan“ ()

I just got off the phone with Tom Sarmento. Al's surgery was postponed until tomorrow. He enters the hospital tomorrow morning for surgery and the tentative schedule is for him to be hospitalized until next Tuesday. Everything from the previous knee surgery will be removed and the area will be "cemented". It will take 2 months for this to heal and then there will be reconstructive knee surgery performed to replace the knee.

Tom said that Al's tone of voice sounds much better. He has confidence in these doctors and cards and letters are continuing to arrive. Al is so appreciative of everyone's concern. This is going to be a long process but Al is in the right spirit for it now thanks in large part to all of you. For that a big "THANK YOU" goes out to everyone from Al, his wife Susan, his son Lee, and Tom.

Please keep the cards and letters coming. If you've sent one already, send another one if you can. We are making a difference. Keep Al in your thoughts and prayers.

Alan Wyatt, Jr.
      PO Box 6596
      Malibu, CA 90264

I will keep you updated.

Phyllis
      Good news! Al just got home from the hospital. Tom called me and said that he just got off the phone with Susan, Al's wife. They were just bringing Al into the house and getting him settled. A nurse was there to help and Susan said that it would take about an hour. All we know right now is that the surgery went well and Susan sounded very positive. Tom is planning on talking with Al tomorrow so there may be another update then. If so, I'll certainly post it for everyone.

Phyllis
      I am so happy to post this latest update on Al. I just got off the phone with Tom and he just talked with Al. This is absolutely the most wonderful news we have heard in quite some time. The staph infection is completely gone. Now Al can focus on the recovery. He was in the hospital longer than he thought he would be with this latest operation but did go home yesterday. During that operation the entire knee was removed and the leg "cemented" together. There are still some surgeries ahead but Al is now in good spirits. The infection is gone so things are looking up for him. Tom said that Al repeatedly talked about how much the cards, letters, thoughts, and prayers have meant to him. He wants everybody to know that he appreciates everything and wants a big THANK YOU to go to all of you. As for the future, Al is scheduled for knee replacement surgery on July 9. Doctors are saying that it will take the rest of the year for recovery as he will need to learn how to use and walk with the replacement knee. Al is ready as he wants to walk down to the ocean again and wants to once again play golf, a sport which I hear he is good at.

There is one other medical problem which you may not be aware of. Al has an irregular heartbeat. This is not something which just now developed. Doctors have decided to operate in August and put in a pacemaker to regulate his heartbeat. Al has been placed on a medication for the knee surgery which could effect the heartbeat. Due to the combination of the medication and the heartbeat condition doctors have told Al that he can't fly. For that reason Al can't attend the Professional Stuntman's Invitational (PSI) in North Carolina June 26, 27, and 28. Even though he was looking forward to attending Al has accepted this decision by his doctors. He will be there in spirit and hopes that everyone attending enjoys the stunt his son, Lee Smith, is going to perform. Al wanted everyone to know that his son will be jumping a Knight Rider car during the stunt show. For those of you who don't yet know the name Lee Smith, he performed that fantastic jump in "Collier & Co. - Hot Pursuit".

THANK YOU again from Al for the support he has received from all of you. I will keep you updated on his progress.

Phyllis
      As I posted a couple of weeks ago Al Wyatt, Jr. will not be able to attend the PSI event due to his health. Something exciting has been planned for Al. There will be a camera set up at the event so those attending may express their well wishes to Al. This DVD will be mailed to Al so he will have a permanent reminder of what he does mean to his fans. Make sure that you stop by the stunt team's booth and record your message to Al.

Phyllis
      UPDATE----

Al underwent knee replacement surgery yesterday. In the last surgery his knee had been removed and the leg "cemented" together. Yesterday, Thursday, July 9, Al received a new knee. He will now begin the long process of learning how to use it. Hopefully he will be released from the hospital around the middle of next week. Al is in good spirits, happy that this is the last operation on the knee. He is scheduled for a pacemaker in August however. I will hopefully have an update from Tom toward the end of next week on Al's progress.

Cards and letters may be sent to

Alan Wyatt, Jr.
      PO Box 6596
      Malibu, CA 90264

Thanks for keeping Al in your thoughts and prayers.

Phyllis